Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Devotional: Prayer (I)

Every new year, we all make New Year resolutions - something that we are going to do differently  in the new year. For most people, it is losing weight - which reminds me that I need to work the gym back into my schedule (sigh)! However, I hope that prayer featured prominently in your new year resolution list, because it did in mine. Prayer is the most important activity you will ever partake in as a christian and in 2011, you need to commit to praying often, regularly, persistently and fervently. So for the month of January, all the devotional posts will be on prayer. It is foundational, it is important, without it, you will make no spiritual progress.  Believe me.

I will begin today by highlighting the centrality of prayer to the Christian. JESUS spoke often about prayer, and when HE did, HE assumed that it was something that was happening regularly. HE said "when you pray" - not if you pray.

Examples:
Matthew 6:5
And when you pray, you shall not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward.

Matthew 6:6
But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly.

Matthew 6:7
And when you pray, do not use vain repetitions as the heathen do. For they think that they will be heard for their many words.

Mark 11:24
Therefore I say to you, whatever things you ask when you pray, believe that you receive them, and you will have them.
So in today's post, first we establish that prayer is fundamental. You have to pray. I had this conversation with somebody recently,  and this was the illustration I used. In order for the human body to survive, it needs three basic things - air, food and water. Everything else is extra that makes life comfortable. I know that somebody will say something about clothing and shelter, but in warmer climes, those may not be necessary. No human being anywhere on earth can survive for too long without food , water and air.
Similarly, once a person is born again, they need two things to nurture and grow their recreated spirit - prayer and the word. Without those two things, the spirit will shrivel up and die. So we don't only eat because we want to - we eat because we have to. Therefore, we should not only pray because we want to, but because we have to. I will die if I don't eat, and my spirit will be stunted if I don't pray.

I must pray!! Is it easy? Nope not always. Will I always feel like? Nope, not at all, but I must pray, and so must you.
One of my favorite books that motivates me to pray is "Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire" by Jim Cymbala, pastor of the Brooklyn Tabernacle. Its not a book on prayer as much as a testimony to the results of prayer. I highly recommend it.

This topic will be covered through out this January but I want to encourage you to prioritize prayer this year. Your life will be completely transformed when you do.

I leave you with one of my favorite songs with which to enter the throne of grace: Baba by Sonnie Badu. There is just something that happens when I play this song. Enjoy HIS presence today

3 comments:

  1. You've hit the hammer right on the head of the nail. I love the analogy you used to drive home the importance of prayer...prayer is to the regenerated self of a Christian what food, water & air are to the human body.
    I must confess that I don't do too much of it...prayer.But we pray that this year will be different for us all. Thanks again, Yemisi.
    Looking forward to the other posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'Seek and you shall find, Knock and the door will be opened, ask and it shall be given'.
    As you said, prayer, as well as devoting that time towards it, is very hard especially for the beginner. The deepening bond with God is real, and its a very good resolution to put on top of the list!

    ReplyDelete