Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Prayer V: Music and prayer

 So we are still talking about how GOD speaks right? Today we are talking about music. When we meet in person ladies, we will talk about this a little more in depth. Suffice to say that music is not just for entertainment purposes. When used right, it is a tool by which we communicate praise, worship, adoration, supplication, petition, etc to GOD, and a medium by which HE can communicate comfort, peace, joy and provision to us. 

The entire book of psalms is full of songs that are used as prayers – David was a “melancholy” full of emotion and feeling and music was his vehicle of communicating with GOD.  And as for GOD’s responses, here are a few passages that speak to the phenomenon of GOD speaking through music:



Job 35:10
But no one says, ‘Where is God my Maker, Who gives songs in the night

Psalm 42:8
The LORD will command His lovingkindness in the daytime, And in the night His song shall be with me— A prayer to the God of my life.

Psalm 77:6
I call to remembrance my song in the night; I meditate within my heart, And my spirit makes diligent search.

The three verses tell us a few things:
First GOD gives songs – songs for your situation. Tailor made for you.
At night, when things are dark and blurry, the song will be with you, to strengthen and comfort you.
And you can in every situation, call this song to remembrance. You can recall it and say – When I was facing a nighttime situation, GOD gave me a song. I remember that I am comforted.

However, as with GOD speaking through HIS word, this only works if your ears are open to hear. It only works if you are listening. And it only works if your head and mind are not full of complete rubbish. If the only songs you know are songs that glorify sex and violence, debase woman and ignore GOD, where is the material for GOD to speak to you with? I am not hating on secular music o, please understand me. I have a large collection myself – everything from romantic to socially conscious music. BUT any music you own, spiritual or secular must pass the following test:

 
Phil 4:8
Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things

Does your music pass this test? The beat may be nice, but the lyrics are even more important!  Remember that whatever u feed your mind and your emotions with is part of your spiritual arsenal. In the days of trouble (and they will come), GOD can use it, or the devil can use it – depending on what it is.

GOD is speaking – are you listening?

As for the song for today, that is hard because really where do we start with worshiping GOD?  But I choose one of my very favorite worship songs from my favorite choir and one of my very favorite singers. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Very nice. These days I do get annoyed with raunchy lyrics myself, but sometimes I do groove to those beats, so yup, guilty! lol
    Now, to devotional music. I remember growing up, I felt like I was dragged to church every week, and I never got the whole "singing" thing. I'd watch my mother sing hymns, and I'd think, 'What is she singing about??'. I just didn't get it, but with spiritual maturity and growth, I've found songs praising God to be comforting and when you pay attention to the lyrics, and sing the song like you mean it in your heart, God will touch you and you will 'get it'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice piece. I do agree with you that we need to pay close attention to the lyrics of the music we listen to. I for one am not comfortable with songs that use the f word in it, so I try as much as possible to stay clear from such...

    Touching piece though, I also like the "music test", I'll try to use it when choosing songs to listen to.

    Somi

    ReplyDelete