Thursday, August 13, 2009

Ade Obayomi on So you think you can dance

Hello my pipu,
What a busy summer it has been! But now, I think I can settle down and blog. And boy, do I have a lot to say!

First, let us talk about dance. I loooooove dance. I follow the major dance shows (in America) Dancing with the stars and So you think you can dance - very religiously, and I am tempted to start taking dance classes esp for the latin dances. Just that some of them are so sexy ehn! Anyways, that is another topic for another day.

So this summer, So you think you can dance was on (they are adding a fall show, yay!) when I saw to my surprise that one of the top 20 contestants was Nigerian born. His name is Ade Obayomi, and here are a few facts about him:

Place of Birth:Phoenix Arizona
Birth Name :Adetokunbo Isaac Kayode Obayomi
Date Of Birth :December 6,1988

You can read an interview he gave to the LA times here

Just a little background about the show for the uninitiated: the show is similar to American idol - they start by auditioning thousands of people, and then pick the top 20, who are then pruned weekly via public votes and judges choices.

So why was I surprised that there was a Nigerian-American on the show? Well, because you just don't think of African parents in general as being interested in encouraging their children to pursue non-academic and non-football (or soccer for the Americans) activities. From the way Ade danced on that show, it was obvious he had had a loooot of training. In other words, dude could dance! Chei! How he could dance!

Here are Ade's dances over the length of his stay on the show. I bet you will be impressed too:

Top 20



Top 18


Top 14


Top 12



Top 10


Top 10 guys dance



Top 8
with everyone


with partner




Top 6





top 6 guy's dance


I apologise for the performances that are missing. This is as much as I could find.
Unfortunately, the top 6 was as far as he was able to go. So close to the finale!!
But he did really good considering that the fact that he came into the show with no real back story or fanbase, but was able to make it to the top 6 based on raw talent alone! Doesn't it make you want to bust a move too? Dat's rite, slide to the left!!

Ciao.

No comments:

Post a Comment