Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The black list - Volumes 1 and 2

So its black history month, and most of the discourse on TV, on radio, all over the web, is on the history, struggles and achievements of black people. I am supposed to be writing my dissertation, but once in a while I take a break and do some waka waka on the web (just as an aside, I will break into pidgin english once in a while - its a naija thing LOL). Anyways, I was going to Youtube to look for something or the other, and I come across a promo for The black list - a show that is going to be on HBO later this month. I listened to a few of the speakers I and was so fascinated by what they had to say, that I decided to share.

Listen to Serena Williams - tennis star




Notice the comments about the focus on her strength and little mention of her ability to strategise as a tennis player?

Then there is Chris Rock - Comedian



Just a dentist! LOL!!

Russell Simmons - Rap mogul speaking in defense of hiphop



Me, I am not gonna talk too much about this one. In general, when it comes to hiphop music and culture, I am a hater. Once in a while, a specific song may tug at me, but in general, HATER!!

And then there is the trailer for the HBO special:



I will comment a little more about their thoughts and about Black history month next time. But just for now - what do you think about what they had to say? Will you be watching the special? I would, but I don't have cable!! Bwhahahaahhahahah!!

1 comment:

  1. Nice blog. Plz, check mine out @

    http://atsworld.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete