Monday, February 23, 2009

Jazz and blues : Sade, Asa and Zamajobe

Hiya!! Its been a long day and I am tired. However, I am determined to keep up with this blogging thing, so here I am again. I am determined to avoid serious topics today however, so we will be talking some of my favorite music.

Do you remember Sade Adu? If not, you must be a young 'un!! Sade was/is one of the greatest singers of our time. She has not made a record in a decade (at least), but I still listen to her music and sigh. I was listening to her the other day, and I wondered - what happened to her? Obviously, she just decided to step away from the limelight and face her life. There is a great article about her here. Or you could just google her - there is a great wiki article about her too. Here is a little background blurb from Wiki:

Sade was born in Ibadan, Ọyọ State, Nigeria. Her name, Folasade, means honour confers a crown. Her parents, Bisi Adu, a Nigerian lecturer in economics of Yoruba background, and Anne Hayes, an English nurse, met in London and moved to west Africa. Later, when the marriage ran into difficulties, Anne returned to Clacton-on-Sea, Essex, England, taking four-year-old Sade and her older brother Banji to live with her parents. Living in Colchester, Essex, Sade read a good deal, developed an interest in fashion, acquired a taste for dancing and listened to soul artists like Curtis Mayfield, Donny Hathaway, and Marvin Gaye.

Anyways, enough talk about Sade. How about some of her outstanding music to help you chill out after a long day?



Ahhh! Pure genius!






There is plenty more on youtube if you like the jazzy, bluesy feel of her music.
I love Sade and I hope she comes back someday to share her gift once more, although you have to respect a woman who walks away from fame.


However, there are a few contemporary singers who remind me of Sade. The first time I heard Asa, I was like what? She's Nigerian? Wow. I went to find that cd ASAP, and played it until I practically knew every song by heart. Asa has gone on to become quite a big star in Europe, even though she has refused to sex it up, and a lot of her music is in yoruba. When you got it, you got it!! Check her out:










Then, I heard Zamajobe - the South African beauty with the voice as smooth as silk. Hear for yourself:





Soo, while I miss Sade and play her old music in my "mellow" moods, Asa and Zamajobe are holding the fort quite well. I think those two will go on to have amazing careers. Their music, like Sade's, is not superficial, but its deep, real, meaningful, beautiful. Just what you need after a long hard day - Ahhhhhhh!


P.S - if you are wondering how to lay your hands on this music - Sade and Asa's music are available for sale on Amazon.com. Zamajobe was neither there nor or itunes last time I checked. I have found a few places where her music might be available, but I will not advertise them until I try them out myself and vouch for their authenticity. So for now, enjoy her on youtube.


Alright, make me sef go sleep ojare. I think I have given you more than enough stuff to waste time with instead of working tomorrow. LOL!!

2 comments:

  1. Sade and Asa are rare talents.

    Nice blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You hit the nail on the head. All these ladies are beautiful and so talented and I like yourself just listen to Asa on repeat all the time. I love music with meaning and all these ladies deliver. Being South African myself, I think Zamajobe is realy talented and is going places. Take care and well written:)

    ReplyDelete