Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Music spotlight: Dare Art Alade

I usually ignore most contemporary musicians - because I find that many have no talent. They are superstars because of good marketing, not because they can carry a tune. This is the case in the West, and its just as bad all over Africa. Afro hip hop is all the rage, and all the tuneless beats sound the same. Its all very disappointing. However once in a while, somebody shines out of the crowd - with real talent, with creativity, with ooomph! that makes you stop and say - there is still hope for the music industry after all. As far as I am concerned, Dare's first album was a complete waste of time (almost). I hated it, and I thought he was just another noise maker in the crowd. But it looks like dude got some kind of creative makeover, because when I heard his second album, I was totally, completely blown away. Believe me, its good. And the videos are even better. I am one of the biggest critics of this video vixen business - usually some scantily clad gal boosting somebody's ego in the club, or in the pool (or both). However, even though some of Dare's girls are sometimes less than fully dressed, his videos are tasteful and classy. And boy, can he sing!! Chei!! CAN HE SING!

But the say the proof of the pudding is in the eating abi? I present Dare Art Alade, or Darey as he is called on this album:

Not the girl



More




Carry dey go




And my very favorite: With this woman





If he resists the attempt to make pedestrian music with cheap hooks, the sky is his limit. I looooooove his music - I think this album is brilliant in all ramifications. Goooooo Darey!

Info about Dare: he has a very informative website here and his music is on Amazon here. His first album is there too - under the name Dare Art Alade, while the second album is under the name Darey (Don't ask me why, me I no sabi).

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment