Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Daily Devotional : Fear

I have always thought of fear as a feeling. Because you know, something goes wrong, or you face some uncertainty, and you feel afraid - right? Then I had an experience with fear that went above and beyond a feeling. You know how it is - you are thinking about the situation, worrying, worrying, you go to bed, worrying. You finally fall asleep. But then in the dead of the night, when all is quiet, this 'thing' wakes you up. Its not just worry - its raw undiluted fear. It starts to speak to your mind at that time, and oh, the things it says! Tells you what a miserable failure you are. Tells you how you will not make it, tells you how your situation is irredeemable. Tells you how insignificant you are, how worthless you are. Grinds your self worth and self esteem into the mud. Hmmmm! If ever you are able to go back to sleep, you are discouraged at best, at worst you are terrified! Then I understood - fear is a spirit. Its a devilish, insidious, dark, twisted spirit. And you have to deal with it, the only way you deal with spiritual things - by the word.

When you are being tormented by fear, worry, uncertainty, loss - the unknown, uncertain future, know that you are not alone. GOD is with you. And you have the tools to deal with that horrible spirit.

There are a few major tools to use:

I) Speak the word. There are a few bible verses to use. Shout them out to that spirit. It knows authority when it hears it. It will back off, it has no choice. Which verses?

I Tim 1:7
For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind

That is the most common, and frankly effective one. Personalize it. claim it. Say it, believe it. I refuse to own this fear! It is not mine. It is not from GOD, so I reject it. GOD has not given me a spirit of fear!! Hallelujah!!

Instead of fear, go read some verses that remind you of the power and character of GOD Like

a) Psalm 27

and

b) Isaiah 43: 1-7

II) Music: I am a melancholic, a deep feeler - ( if you have no idea what that means, you need to check out the book spirit controlled temperament by Tim Lahaye). I identify really well with the biblical David, because dude knew how to encourage himself in the LORD (I Samuel 30: 6)

How did he do that? With psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. Even on days when prayer is hard, there is nothing like a great song with uplifting lyrics to lift your spirits. Nothing at all.

SO try this:




or this:



or even this:



Yes, Whitney Houston. That song can only be a prayer! It has gotten me through many a hard day believe me!!

I am not going to lie, I have a catalog of "songs for the night" (Psalm 42:8), and one day I will share them with you - music so powerful that it literally lifts you up from the depths. Good music - its an amazing tool for spiritual strength!


III)Pray. Pray as much as you can - it can be as simple or as complicated as you want it to be. GOD always hears you. HE will never leave you, HE will never forsake you. HE will always love you.

As the word says:

Phillipians 4: 6-7.
6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; 7 and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

IV
) Seek help:

Never be afraid or ashamed to seek GODly counsel. We were not made to walk this christian walk alone. Sometimes all you need is somebody to pray with you and you are able to see things from a christian perspective. Seek a GODly person to talk about your fears with and to pray with. Afterall, a problem shared is a problem solved!


Have a wonderful, fear free day.

GOD bless you.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the post.

    You have dealt a powerful blow to God's enemy, satan, who daily assaults believers with the spirit of fear.

    BTW, are you a SanMel? David was a SanMel. I would wager you're a PhlegMel or MelPhelg

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL @ the psychoanalysis. I see a little bit of each of the personality types in me. Most people would call me a mix of choleric and melancholy, believe it or not. But I see all the rest too. But predominantly a mel for sure.

    What about u? Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Yemisi,

    This was very inspiring and motivating, I just checked it out while at the Gerladina Computer lab. Will re-read it again later tonight. I certainly need to memorize more bible verses by heart so I can speak it out loud when the need arises. Thanks again and stay blessed.

    This is Somi,in case my long post did not give you me away already. Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess your blog is a haven of sort for anonymous posters..I'm the first anonymous

    Yours truly is a blend of Mel and San. Predominantly a Mel - given to analysis!

    It would be nice if you're a blend of Choleric and Melancholic. ChlorMels are perhaps the most industrious of all the blend of temeperaments. But you strike me as someone given to academics. So, I suspect you are a Melphleg.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Ms Somi
    Wonderful. I hope I can keep this up regularly! LOL!

    @ 1st Anon: Melphleg? Maybe. I remember back in college when analyzing personalities was all the rage. It does not matter though. Important thing is that it is spirit controlled. I hope you keep coming back. Looks like you will be a fun contributor!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank Yemisi
    This blog was truthly inspiring, i love the song and the verses... I woke up this morning and was like hmmmmmmm let me take a look at what Yemisi send me yesterday............. when i did........... it was amazine.....and uplifting spirit filled...thanks again. I am ready to start my day fearless and spirit filled.
    PS Eunice, have a blessed day

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a very practical approach to dealing with fear. And it goes straight to the heart of the matter.
    In the university in Ghana, God led me to teach on fear when it was my turn to lead the devotional for my hall of residence. In my studies, I found that there is "fear" in the bible which is used to refer to reverential awe of God. So, for example, when the bible says "Fear God...", it doesn't mean be afraid of God in the sense of the word, but it means behold the majesty of God, revere Him.
    And the other evil side of fear is just what you have dealt with, madam Yemisi. This is important because most Christians don't even know that fear is an evil spirit.
    The bible says "Perfect love casteth out fear..." (sorry, can't recall the verse off the top of my head). So in no way can fear and love abide together.
    Thanks for doing justice to this, Yemisi. May God bless you and open the eyes of your understanding to make more such posts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lot of people become too confused by fear, and the best way to manifest God's spirit of power, love and so on, is through the Word like you said.

    ReplyDelete